To download this checklist, click here.
- Obtain packing boxes
- Obtain packaging tape and marker pens
- Arrange a furniture removal van
- Arrange transit insurance
- Arrange home and contents insurance for your new home
- Organise a moving time for after settlement
- See your solicitor to sign transfer documents/mortgage discharge documents
- Newspaper delivery
- Milk/grocery delivery
- Credit Cards
- Post Office for mail re-direction
- Australian Electoral Role
- Car Registration & Driver’s Licence
- Australian Tax Office
- Hire Purchase or Finance Company
- Investment Company
- Local Council
- Shops with charge or rewards cards
- Clubs & Organisations
- Police (If you own or store firearms)
- Friends & Family
- Publication Subscriptions
- Clean the stove
- Defrost fridge/freezer
- Tidy the yard
- Ensure that chattels included in the sale are not packed away
- Disconnect appliances
- Disconnect TV aerial
- Organise hard rubbish for unwanted items
- Advise removal company of any hazardous goods
- Securely pack expensive items and important documents (i.e. passports)
- Set aside items you may need throughout the move (i.e. cleaning products)
- Label boxes by room to make unpacking easier
- Ensure boxes with fragile items inside are labelled ‘FRAGILE’
- Put breakables or liquid filled containers in drawers
- Overload drawers or make furniture too heavy
- Store perishable goods where they might be overlooked
1 Week Prior to Moving Day
- Confirm dates and times for furniture removal
- Confirm settlement date/time and key collection time with Harcourts
- Say goodbye to neighbours
- Nothing left behind?
- No clothes at dry cleaners?
- Gas & electricity turned off?
- Telephone disconnected?
- Water turned off?
- Lights off?
- Windows & doors locked?
After the Move
- Have spare keys cut
- Check no damage has occurred during the move
- Familiarise children with how to get to and from school if necessary
- Enjoy your new home
- Keep in touch with your Harcourts consultant. We’d love to hear how you’re going!